Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Brains!!! Lab 11 Sheep Brain Dissection Pictures

Hey, everybody!

So I don't know if you guys had as much fun in lab today dissecting the brains, but I had TOO much fun! It's one of my long-held dreams come true:) When we finally got to cut the brains, I knew I wanted to get the most uniform cuts possible. This is the final result of the brain that Aaron and I cut into coronal cross sections and that I cut into thinner slices:

The top left is the very anterior of the brain and cross sections follow in order down the columns moving right. The very right middle piece is the posterior of the brain and ends near the medulla.

The funny thing is that this is the final, final result. The first time I laid the slices out, it wasn't in a very coherent fashion. It wasn't very easy to follow, logically, and I even laid out a couple slices upside down! At that point I had left the lab, though. So, when I was reviewing the initial picture I took, and realized the amateur mistake I had made, I rushed back to the lab to fix it (mostly just because I wanted a correct picture). When I got back to fix it, Jenny asked me if I wanted to do another! Naturally, I zealously accepted:) The next brain I cut into sagittal cross sections. This one didn't turn out as well because it was a more fragile fixing, but it was still really fun and super helpful to spend more time deconstructing the 3 dimensional structure of the brain into 2 dimensional sections like Jenny talked about in lab. Here is the result of cutting the brain into sagittal sections:

Hemispheres are on the respective side on the dissecting tray. The sections in the top corners are the where the midsagittal cut was made. The sections then follow in order down and into the next columns until they terminate with the exterior sagittal sections at the bottom of the inside columns.

Hope these help a little with visualization or are just fun to look at:) Let me know if you have any questions or are confused by the layout at all!

3 comments:

  1. These are like works of art! To let you know, the second pic is broken for me and not showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sections are gorgeous! I'll need to shoot them to my friends to freak them out. Second pic is showing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures don't seem to work for me, but I'll add my kudos for your meticulous work I saw in lab!

    ReplyDelete