Sunday, March 19, 2017

Service learning: Cultural Kitchen cleanup and Repairs by Robert Barker

                I volunteered for three hours in the cultural kitchen. It was a miserable cold, rainy day and I did not get pictures. We learned the background of the cultural kitchen how it was started. A native club on campus wanted a place to cook food related to their culture and a place for telling stories. There are three different ovens. We also learned that Juliene and her dad had just put in a rain gutter. The rain gutter helps filter the rain water so the animals do not have as many pollutants. We also learned that former students had built the benches. After learning a little background, we set off to work.
I had two different jobs throughout the three hours. My main objective was to help pull weeds out from the sand trap. I also helped put rotting wood in the wheelbarrow to put fresh wood down. As I was pulling weeds I uncovered a beetle. All I could tell was that it was a small black oval shaped beetle. This sand trap is used for animals or humans to measure their tracks. The ability for animals to measure their tracks in our cultural kitchen is part of how this project relates to animal biology. Another aspect is that by cleaning the animal’s environment it makes it easier for them to move around.
The goal of this event was to clean and repair the cultural kitchen so that it can be used in future years to the enjoyment that we could. I had helped clean up gold park before so, it was nice to help clean up campus. I had never been to the cultural kitchen and seeing all the science that went into building the stoves and how they work was neat. I love servicing society in any way possible. The contact person to verify my hours is Juliene Wall and she can be reached at julienne.wall@email.edcc.edu.
My four questions that were raised
1)      What is the purpose of measuring your tracks in the sand trap?
2)      Why does campus events not utilize the cultural kitchen more?
3)      What deters more animals from coming into the cultural kitchen?

4)      Why is the sand trap so small? 

No comments:

Post a Comment